History

The MLC School Society (Mylapore Ladies’ Club) established a Kindergarten Section on 3rd February, 1956 to accommodate the boys in Mylapore and its environs.

The first president of the society was Sister Subbalakshmi, supported by Shri Subbaraya Aiyar, a  leading   lawyer   of   his   time,  and Mrs. Padmini Chari, Educationist. Thus the school was born through the efforts of the three, and Vidya Mandir Matriculation School was formally opened in 1960.

   

The task of managing the school, forming a separate society with its own committee and set of regulations was entrusted to Mr. Subbaraya Aiyer. It marked the beginning of his lifelong Association with the school.

Mrs. Chari was a long-time member of the Mylapore ladies club. She was devoted to Vidya Mandir and exercised her considerable organizational talent in finding both financial and human resources to enable it to grow and expand.

Sister Subbulakshmi was one of India's former social reformers who dedicated her time and energy to the cause of women's emancipation. The Government of India awarded her the Padma Shri in 1958.

The MLC School Society was registered in 1957, and the properties of the club were transferred to it. Sister R. S. Subbalakshmi and Mrs V K T Chari, were Founder President and Correspondent respectively, Shri. M Subbaraya Aiyar became the Secretary of the school.

Year

Time Line

1956
Starts as a small school by the members of the Mylapore Ladies' Club The most prominent of the founders are Sister Subbulakshmi Ammal, Mrs Padmini Chari, Sri Subbaraya Aiyer - noted lawyer.
1960
The first batch takes the exam.
1963
A small building is constructed. The Matriculation section is opened.
1975
The school gets affiliated to the CBSE.
1978
The first batch takes the 10th Standard exam. The school becomes a co-ed.
1981
The Silver Jubilee K G Block comes up.
1989
Establishes the Adyar School which today stands independent as Bala Vidya Mandir.
1993
The Primary Block comes up
1997
The new Admin Block comes up.
1998
A state of the art Computer Lab is set up with the help of Redington and Compaq.
2001
The new open air theatre and library are built.
2004
The new Audio Visual room is inaugurated.
2005
Golden Jubilee Year.
2006
A new KG Block called Uma Srinivasan block is inaugurated by the VC of the Madras University.
2010
A branch of Vidya Mandir is set up at the township called Estancia.  Smart Boards installed in all classes from Std III to VIII.
2010
The school introduces a filing system to reduce the weight of the school bag And also shifts to two terms as per the CBSE mandate.  Smart Boards are used in all Classes from KG to Std VIII in Mylapore.
2015
Diamond Jubilee Year.
Back to Top